Friday, May 29, 2009

What Will Bring You the Most Pleasure?

We live in a work-a-day world. We work out. We work hard. We work up a sweat. We work at relationships. We work at losing weight. We work at eating healthfully. We work, work, work.

But how often do we consider joy, or think about happiness, or ponder what will actually bring us pleasure? The concept of pleasure, however, is one of the key principals to falling in love with your body and releasing weight that no longer serves you.

Just asking the question, “What will bring me the most pleasure?” focusses you. The simple act of pausing to consider pleasure brings you one step closer to creating a loving relationship with your body! Just thinking about this idea helps you prioritize things and gives you a clear focus.

The question “What will bring me the most pleasure?” was one I asked myself when I began to consider becoming more physically active. I knew that weighing 45 pounds above what was healthful for me was not bringing me pleasure. I knew that sitting all day was not making me feel good. I knew that eating lots of high-fat fast food was not making me happy. And I knew I needed to do something differently.

And I began to consider what would actually bring me the most pleasure. While eating a bag of chips and a pop from the vending machine would bring me a certain kind of pleasure, I knew that it would not bring me the most pleasure. And while sitting at my desk at work for hours on end did provide me with some level of pleasure, I knew that what would bring me the most pleasure would be to get up out of my chair and go for a walk when I had the opportunity.

And that walk did, indeed, bring me the most pleasure. For that 30-minute walk evolved into an hour-long walk. That hour-long walk evolved into a 20-minute run/walk combo. That run-walk combo evolved into running a half marathon. And running that half marathon was one of the most pleasurable experiences of my life.

As you move toward developing a loving relationship with your body, and as you release weight in the process, keep this thought in mind: “What will bring me the most pleasure?”



Up Next: Write It Down!

1 comment:

  1. Good one on "What Will Bring You the Most Pleasure?" .I'm using the methods from http://debtfreeliving.lose20.com to reduce weight and it really works.

    Thanks,
    Peter- Lose 20 - Losing weight may save your life

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.