Friday, May 29, 2009

Staying the Course Over Rough Terrain

We begin, for the umpteenth time, a new weight loss* program or start a new diet. We are excited and passionate and can’t wait for results. This time it will “click.” This time will be different. This time we will finally achieve the body (and life?) of our dreams.

Maybe we say, “I’m going to use my willpower! I’m going to use my self-discipline! I’ll say ‘No’ to all the bad foods! And I’ll lose this weight for good.”

And then life gets in the way. And instead of our jeans getting looser, they get tighter.

What to do? What to do? What to do?

Here are a few tips:

TIP ONE: Have a Pleasure Plan for bad days. Know that “bad” days are normal. Know that you’re not perfect. Know that things may not always work out the way you think they should. But know that you can put pleasure into any situation.

For example, I knew that I had to have a Pleasure Plan for exercise. I knew that getting up and getting out and moving my body was not going to come naturally or easily. So my Pleasure Plan included ways to make walking fun. So, on my walks, I decided to take great pleasure in the gorgeous neighborhoods, the trees, the flowers, the cats, the bunnies, the squirrels, the goats, the ponies, the lambs, the camels, the peacock (I live near a children’s zoo), the kids, the men, and the women I encountered. Making the decision to experience pleasure before I headed out the door made me want to keep heading out the door!

TIP TWO: Lose the idea of “willpower” and “self-discipline.” Instead, focus “commitment” and “belief.” Here are a few ways I refocused certain thoughts:

“I just don’t have any willpower” became “I’m committed to loving my body by moving it!”

“Where’s my self-discipline?” became “I am filled with belief that I am headed in the right direction.”

“I hate to exercise!” became “My body thanks me every time I move it!”

“I just can’t say no to any kind of food” became “I only eat foods that I really, really like.”

TIP THREE: Know that you’re in this for the long haul (the rest of your life). Expect that some days will be easier then others. Enjoy and relish the easy days. And slow down and be gentle with yourself when you encounter rough terrain.

Know that developing a great relationship with your body is a life-long journey, and enjoy the trip!

*I prefer to replace the word “loss” with “release”.




Up Next: “What Will Bring You the Most Pleasure?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.