Friday, May 29, 2009

Write It Down!

What do Jim Carrey, Suze Orman, and Dilbert creator Scott Adams have in common?

They all wrote down what they wanted to have happen before it happened!

Cool, huh?

In Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want--and Getting It! Dr. Henriette
Anne Klauser briefly relates the stories of each of these celebrities. Jim Carrey wrote a check to himself for ten million dollars. Scott Adams wrote, “I will be the best cartoonist on the planet.” And Suze Orman wrote, “I am young, powerful, and successful, producing at least $10,000 a month.”
In my own life, I have seen the power--and the results--of writing down my goals, visions, and deepest desires. In February, 2008, I examined what I wanted for my life and for my body. I knew I was was not where I wanted to be. I weighed more than was healthful. I had little energy, and I deeply desired to do things differently. And so I wrote down what I wanted to have happen before it happened!

Everything that I desired for my body I wrote down. But I didn’t stop with just writing down my desires. I typed them up, printed them out, taped them into my daily planner, and carried them around with me. I reviewed them from time to time throughout the day. And when I was faced with a decision (“Should I eat that slice of pizza? Or should I go for a walk?” or “Should I eat that huge cookie that magically appeared in front of me? Or should I chomp on the apple I brought with me?”), I found myself, more often than not, choosing the behavior that aligned more closely with what I had written down.

And the fun part? Each one of those desires became reality.

And here’s what I learned: If you want something to happen in your life, write it down!


Up Next: Eating and Emotions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.