Friday, May 29, 2009

Reflections on the Race

The following conversation was overheard last Sunday at the Lincoln Marathon/Half Marathon:

Fan: Good job, runner!

Runner: I’m an idiot.

Fan: Yeah, but you’re an inspiring idiot!

On Sunday, I ran in the Lincoln Half Marathon, which was the first race I’ve ever run in my life.
And over the past several months, I’ve learned a lot. Eat lots of carbs. Drink lots of water.
Stretch. Ice. Massage. Rest. Do your long runs slow. Think positively.

But here’s what I learned from running the race itself: Never underestimate the power of support.

Not until the race itself was underway did I understand how important fans, spectators, and supporters are.

Just hearing people yell “Good job!” or “Way to go!” or “Looking good!” or “Go, runner, go!” lifted me high. Hearing the yells, cheers, whoops and hollers along the route fed me, nourished my spirit, and energized me as much as an energy gel or Gu would have. And because I was so well-fed by all the fans and spectators, I shaved 14 minutes off my goal time.

Would I have run as fast without the fans? Probably not.

Who are your fans? Who are your supporters? Who in your life says, “Good job!” or “Way to go!”?

Do those words make a difference to you? Do they help you run a faster race, whatever your race happens to be?

If your fans make a difference to you, go thank them. Right now!



Up Next: More Race Reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.