Friday, May 29, 2009

Anticipation. . .

. . . is making me wait. . . is keeping me waiting. . .

Tomorrow is the big day. Tomorrow is the moment of truth. Tomorrow I will reap the results of the past four months of work, and I’m excited about the harvest!

Tomorrow, at 7 AM, I’ll run 13.1 miles! I’ve trained for the past four months for the Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon, and I don’t know what will happen.

But I do know that I’ve learned a lot about both my mind and my body during the past four months.

Pacing is important. Slow is good, especially if you’ve got a lot of miles to cover. (I’m impatient by nature, so this is an important lesson to learn.)

It takes time for one’s body to adapt to the demands you place upon it. (Again, another lesson in patience.)

Sleep is really important. Some studies that show that adding an hour of sleep can improve athletic performance. (I like that idea.)

Water is really important. If I have aches or pains, I know to drink lots and lots of water.

What you put in your mouth (food) impacts how you feel physically and mentally.

Not everything is in my control. Running helps me figure out what stuff I can control and what stuff I can’t.

Running is a spiritual practice.

I anticipate that tomorrow will be one of the best days of my life!


Up Next: “Reflecting on the Race”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.