Friday, May 29, 2009

More Race Reflections

In the past few days, I’ve made some discoveries about myself and my body, thanks to the Half Marathon.

Here’s what I’ve learned:

1.13.1 miles is a long way to run. But forty-five pounds ago, the idea of running a Half Marathon would not have registered on my radar screen. Now I’m planning for the next one. . . maybe 25.2?

2.Pace yourself. Patience may indeed be a virtue, and it’s certainly not one of mine. Running long distances teaches you patience.

3.Listen to your body. I started to feel really good about two to three miles into the race, and so I picked up my speed. And as I ran faster, I passed people.

4.Enjoy the experience of passing people. I discovered on Sunday that I really like to pass people. Especially on hills.

5.Sprint at the end. Lengthen your stride. Increase your speed. And crank it out.

6.Rest. Your body will thank you. We live in a culture that reward and promotes production, and so consequently, many of us are stingy with sleep. We’re so busy, we have so many demands on our time, that sometimes the only way to get everything done is to neglect our sleep. However, in training for this race, I’ve discovered that getting plenty of sleep is crucial.

7.Enjoy the crowd. Enjoy the spectators. Enjoy the cheers, yells, hollers, and whoops. Our supporters make a big difference.

8.Think about what you have accomplished, not what you haven’t accomplished. Because of a leg issue in January, I was not able to run with my class for several weeks. But going into the race Sunday, rather than thinking, “I missed 5 long runs with the class,” I thought, “I ran 10 miles just a few days ago. I’m gonna be fine.”

As I wind down from the race, I continue to be grateful for the many things I’ve learned about my mind and my body during the past few months. The biggest thing I’ve learned, though, is this: every day I have the chance to run is a day I feel blessed.

Up Next: “How Can I Love My Body?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.