Friday, May 29, 2009

Before and After

Then: I weighed 45 pounds more than was healthful.

Now: My body weight is in a healthful range.

Then: I struggled to carry groceries up the stairs into my apartment.

Now: I’m getting ready to run 13.1 miles.

Then: I looked at my body as “ugly” and “disgusting” and “fat” and “obese” and “gross.”

Now: I look at my body as “healthy,” “strong,” “fit,” “energetic,” and (this is the big one) “beautiful.”

Then: I drank a high-calorie, high-fat beverage from a local coffee house daily.

Now: I drink a lots and lots and lots of water.

Then: I cringed when I saw myself in the mirror or in a photograph or in a reflective store-front window.

Now: I look at my legs every night in the bathtub, and thank them for carrying me throughout the day.

Then: I ate whatever happened to be around--fast food, vending machine food, convenience store food.

Now: I have discovered I feel better when I eat lots and lots of fruits and vegetables.

Then: I felt that I would never measure up, or be good enough, because I was fat.

Now: I know that the only standard I need to measure up to is mine.

Then: I criticized myself relentlessly.

Now: I praise myself constantly.

That was then.

This is now.



Up Next: “Anticipating the Race”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.