Friday, May 29, 2009

How to Listen to Your Body

Easier said than done, right? Indeed, our bodies are always talking to us. But how often to we really pay attention to what they’re saying?

My biggest challenges occur when I ignore the messages my body sends me. Here are a few things that my body says to me from time to time:

“Move me!”

“Let me rest!”

“Give me peace!”

“Give me action!”

“Feed me.”

“Stop feeding me!”

“Stretch me!”

“Ice me!”

“Massage me!”

I find that the more I listen to my body, and the more I do what she says, the happier I am, the more energy I have, and the better I feel. So if you feel disconnected from your body, here are a few tips to establish a fantastic connection to her.

TIIP ONE: Master the fine art of curiosity. I began my weight-release journey basically out of curiosity. I began to think, “I wonder what would happen if I got in the best shape of my life.” “I wonder how I would feel if I started eating really, really well.” “I wonder what would happen if I really figured out this exercise thing.” “I wonder what would happen if I started saying loving, compassionate things to myself.” And as I became curious about “what would happen if. . .” my body responded to my curiosity in miraculous ways.

TIP TWO: Master the fine art of appreciation. Last Sunday, after the race, and after the requisite cold soak, I thanked my body with a warm soak--in delightfully warm water, Epsom salts, and lavender oil. And as I was soaking in a tub full of warm water, I poked, prodded, dug around in, and massaged my calf muscles vigorously. And while I massaged them, I thanked them for carrying me through to the finish line. I thanked them for being strong and healthy for the past several months. And I thanked them for allowing me to experience the simple pleasure of running.

TIP THREE: Ask your body what she wants. She will always tell you if you ask her. Does she want more rest? Does she want to eat more healthful food? Does she want to be outdoors more? Does she want more time alone? What does your body really, really want?

Be curious about your body.

Appreciate your body.

Ask her to talk to you And when she talks, listen!



Up Next: On “Getting There”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.