Sunday, February 28, 2010

Race Day Goals



In two days, I’ll be participating in my second half marathon. I’m excited and nervous! I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished during the past few months, and yet I’m not quite sure what’s going to happen on the day of the race.

I tend to be an all or nothing thinker, and so when someone suggested, a few months ago, to have three different goals for a race, I was intrigued and curious.

First, my running mentor said, have an attainable goal, a goal you know you can accomplish and feel good about.

Second, have a moderately-challenging goal--one that you might have to push a little to achieve, and yet you feel you can do it.

And third, have a very challenging goal, one that could happen for you if the stars align in perfect order on race day.

And so, my goals for the race this weekend are this:

My attainable goal is to finish the race. 13.1 miles is a long distance to go. I’ll be running on a course I’ve not run on before. There are some significant hills, and of course it’s January on the Great Plains. Weather conditions could change suddenly, and who knows what the wind will be like. But I’ve been training for the race for the past several months, and I feel confident that I can finish it.

My moderately-challenging goal is to run the entire way: no stopping, no walking. Run it all. I think I can do that, too.

And my very-challenging goal is a time goal. I’d like to finish it within 15 minutes my time in last May’s half marathon. I’d be really proud to see the clock say 2:37 when I cross the finish line.

Who knows what will happen on race day?

At this point I’m putting my faith in my training that I’ve done for the past few months. I’m intending that the weather be beautiful.

And most importantly, I am intending to listen to my body during the race, and find pleasure in 13.1 miles of eastern Kansas terrain.

Wish me luck!


Thursday, January 14, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.