Friday, May 29, 2009

“I Hate Exercise!”

Those three words were my mantra for much of my adult life. I was much more comfortable in the world of the mind than in the world of the body. Ideas, art, music, and words I found attractive. Sports, athletics, and physical movement I found repulsive.

Of course, I was overweight. And, sadly, I found my body repulsive, as well. It was only when I deliberately, consciously, and intentionally changed my thoughts about my body that I was able to change my thoughts about moving my body. And now, “I hate exercise!” has become “I love running!”

Here are a few tips to help you change your thoughts about your body:

1 Be grateful for everything your body has done for you and has given you.

2 Look in the mirror right now, and find something about your body that you really like. Is it your eyes? Your hair? Your skin? Your freckles?

3 Take that thing you like about your your body (your eyes, hair, skin, etc.) and affirm it to yourself every time you look in the mirror: “I like my hazel eyes!” or “My hair is great!” or “My complexion is gorgeous!”

These positive statements about your body may feel self indulgent and uncomfortable. They may feel silly and unrealistic. And that’s okay. Do them anyway.

Know that these affirmative words will lead you out of the painful realm of self-loathing and into the much more pleasurable realm of healthy self-love! And someday soon, you too may find yourself saying, “I love exercise!”



Up next: “Eat What You Love”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.