Friday, May 29, 2009

Gratitude? For This Body?

“You want me to be grateful? For this body? You’ve got to be kidding! Look at me! I weigh way too much!”

Much has been written about gratitude and appreciation as a way to invite abundance and prosperity into one’s life, or as a way to shift one’s mood and thinking. I believe that gratitude for one’s own body, as it is right now, is also a fabulous way to release weight.

“OK,” you might say. “I’ll be grateful for my body when I lose five (or 10 or 15 or 20--you fill in the number) pounds.” Or perhaps you’re thinking, “I’ll be grateful for my body when I can fit into those clothes I have in my closet.” Or perhaps, “I’ll be grateful for my body when I weigh what I weighed in high school. What’s there to be grateful about now?”

And I would suggest that not until you appreciate the body that you have, right here, right now--not until you love, adore, and cherish your body in its present condition, will you be able to release weight in a lasting and permanent way.

Being grateful for our bodies is not be easy. I know. As women, we’ve been conditioned to compare ourselves to images of “perfect” female bodies in the media. We direct harsh judgments and cruel criticisms to our physical selves, and thereby undermine any movement toward self approval.

A few months ago, I was in the locker room at my gym. Three little girls were standing in their swimming suits, looking at themselves in the mirror.

“I’m so fat,” one said.

“My thighs are huge,” said another.

“Look at how big my stomach is,” said the third.

To me, these little girls looked normal and healthy. I wanted to sob.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if those children could look in the mirror and say, “Doesn’t my hair look cute?” or “I look great in this swimsuit!” or “I really like the way I look.” Wouldn’t it be wonderful if these children could look in the mirror and approve of what they see?
And wouldn’t it be wonderful if we, as adult women, could approve of what we see in the mirror? How can we learn to approve of our bodies? How can we appreciate our physical selves? How can we be grateful for the bodies that we have, right here and right now, regardless of our clothing size or the number on the scale?

Here are two suggestions:

First, make a gratitude list for your body. For example, mine might include:

1.I’m grateful that I went for a walk today!

2.I’m grateful that my ligaments, tendons, joints, muscles, and bones are healthy.

3.I’m grateful that the tastebuds on my tongue allow me to enjoy tangy strawberries and pineapple.

4.I’m grateful I can enjoy the softness of my cat’s fur though my sense of touch.

5.I’m grateful that my ears allow me to take pleasure in Susan Boyle’s singing.

Second, create a list of cool things your body has done. Maybe your body has given birth to a healthy child or healthy children. Maybe you have climbed mountains, or ridden horses, or seen a rare orchid. . . Whatever your body has done for you that has allowed you to experience joy, pleasure, happiness, or fun--write it down!

Don’t wait until you’re “thin” to love your body. Decide today approve of your physical self. When we love and accept and approve of our physical selves in the present moment, we create a loving, nurturing, and comforting environment where we are able to release weight that no longer serves us.

Up next: “What Are You Hungry For?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.