Friday, May 29, 2009

Emergency Interventions, or What to Do When You Feel Fat

A little over a year ago, I wanted to get in the best shape of my life. And so I did. The culmination of this desire was my participating in, and completing, my first race ever. I loved the experience of the half marathon: the joy of the crowd, the thrill of the race itself, and the exhilaration of finishing.

In a cruel twist of irony, a few days after the race, I saw myself in a few photographs. Were my first thoughts “Kristin! Look at you! You ran a half marathon!” or “Good for you, girl!” or “You met your goal! Way to go!” Unfortunately, no. When I saw myself in those photos, all I could think about was how fat my behind was. Here I was, in the best shape of my adult life, having just run 13.1 miles, and I was still “feeling fat.”

I knew that my “feeling fat” was a demand for emergency intervention, and here are some that interventions that have worked for me:

1.Ramp up your self-care. Know that “feeling fat” is, in reality, a call for compassion, gentleness, self-care, and self-love. Indulge yourself in things that bring you pleasure, in things that make feel good. What makes you happy? Is it long, luscious bubble baths? Is it delicious, nutritious food? Is it filling your mind with positive, uplifting ideas, messages, and thoughts? Consider what makes you happy, and then do it!

2. Call a friend. Indulge yourself in the sympathetic, empathetic support of people who love you and care about you and who understand. Having supportive people in your corner makes all the difference. People love to be needed and to be helpful, so don’t hesitate to ask for what you want from your friends the next time you’re “feeling fat.”

3. Pay attention to reality rather than fiction. Know that little voice inside your head is lying to you. It’s not telling you the truth. Contemplate, affirm aloud, and write down what you know, in your heart, to be true.

4. “Feeling fat” is temporary. Like all feelings, it will soon pass.

And remember that “feeling fat” is simply a fantastic opportunity for you to learn more about how to love and accept yourself in a deep and profound way.


Up Next: Thoughts On Commitment

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Weight Loss Consultant

My photo
Lincoln, NE
Kristin Heslop, DMA, has gained and lost over a thousand pounds throughout her life. A musician by trade and training, Dr. Heslop attended Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska. She holds a Master of Music degree from Wichita State University, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Heslop has taught at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Concordia University, Union College, Wichita State University, and Enterprise Academy. She has performed on the flute, piano, harpsichord, and organ throughout the Midwest. In addition to music she derives great pleasure from political and environmental activism, creating visual art, and hearing her cat Lukas purr.